Wednesday 18 June 2008

The Ghosts Are Whispering

Just a quick note about a new project I've been working on recently - another collaboration with Rainier Lericolais - he sent me a wealth of beautiful, unusual, eclectic sounds to piece together. Some of the sounds have a distinct Celtic aroma to them and recently I've been studying the history of this little town I live in. My studies inevitably led me to the story of Princess Gwenllian wife of Gruffudd ap Rhys. In 1136 she raised an army against the Norman's - She lost the battle and was beheaded in a field not far from where I live.

I live on a hill and every day I gaze out my windows at the castle, the town, the Gwendraeth Valley and Estuary, past Pembrey Mountain and forest.... I'm very very lucky to live here...

Kidwelly View

Sooo - with the history of this town in the back of my mind I began shaping Rainier's sounds, listening to the ghosts and sculpting their tales

We now have ten tracks which we're both happy with and are in the process of making decisions about releasing as an album - dealing with artwork decisions etc...

More news soon - but I have to say - I'm really pleased with this one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mtGREETINGS
I HAVE BEEN DOING A BIT OF ANCESTERY STUDY ON MY FAMILY, MY MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAME IS RICE/RHYS, AND IT WOULD SEEM THAT I AM DIRECTLY RELATED TO Princess Gwenllian wife of Gruffudd ap Rhys. IT WOULD SEEM THAT GWENLLIAN WAS ALSO RHYS COUSIN . SO IT WOULD SEEM THAT THEY ARE POSSIBLY MY GRANDPARENTS. JUST STOPPING BY AND READING YOUR BLOG AND FOUND IT INTERESTING
BLESSED BE

Susan Matthews said...

How wonderful... the spirit of Gwenllian is very strong here in Cydweli - I've been captivated since I moved here... please accept my apologies for not replying sooner - I've not been blogging for many months... I only discovered your comment today... I hope you are well